Friday, October 29, 2010

Sachin Tendulkar for Bharat Ratna ?

First of all let me make this clear, I am not a great fan of Cricket. And I think the sport is over exaggerated in our country.

But I have to say Sachin Tendulkar is God!

I have seen people cry when Sachin misses out on a ton. I have seen people jumping in joy when he manages one.

But here the argument is whether Sachin deserves Bharat Ratna or not ?

Well, I've read a few articles on it.. And looking at the comments on those articles not many people agree that Sachin should be awarded the accolade.

People argue that it should be given to a person who has done good for the people of our country.. And that sports persons don't really do that.

India is not short of great scientists, great leaders, great authors or great inventors. There are many people who deserve to be given the award.

But here I would argue that the emotional attachment that the fans have with their favorite sports person is immense.

Sachin Tendulkar makes people happy. People here in India don't always have a reason to be happy.. People here are always having some or the other problems in life. But the one thing that binds them together is cricket.

People here get elated talking about cricket. I have seen discussions going on for hours about yesterday's match.. This makes people happy.. And may be not permanently but at least for some time it makes people forget their problems..

So I think Sachin Tendulkar deserves to be called a Bharat Ratna, Because as he has done as much for the people of our country as some author, soldier, doctor or even a scientist!

No comments:

Post a Comment